赖世雄讲英语第三册 Lesson 24 Flu and Colds 流感与感冒
Lesson 24 Flu and Colds 流感与感冒
There's little escape from the common cold and influenza, better known as flu.
普通感冒和流感都很难预防。
Most adults in the United States get two or three colds a year,
and children get six to ten. Flu is less com-mon.
大多数成年美国人平均每年感冒2~3次,儿童是6~10次。
On average, about 10 to 20 percent of Americans come down with it each year.
流感的发病率没有这么高,平均每年有10% ~ 20%的美国人会患上流感。
Viruses—tiny organisms that attach to your cells and repro-duce inside them—
cause colds and flu.
引发感冒和流感的病因是病毒——一些极微小的微生物,它们附着在人体细胞上,并在其中不断繁殖。
Both illnesses spread easi-ly.
Colds make you sneeze and cough, give you a runny nose and sore throat,
and sometimes a headache and a slight fever.
感冒的症状是打嗔嚏、咳嗽、流鼻涕、咽痛,有时还伴有头痛和低烧。
Flu brings many of the same symptoms—only worse—
and comes on like a runaway truck.
流感的症状有好多与感冒相同——只不过更为严重——而且像卡车突然失控一样发病突然。
Now you may feel okay, but the next mi-nute you'll probably have a high fever
dry cough, and aching muscles.
刚刚还毫无征兆,转瞬之间就会出现高热、干咳、肌肉酸痛的症状。
Flu can be deadly.
流感的病情可能十分严重。
On average, it kills 20,000 Americans yearly,
mostly the elderly who often have health problems, such as heart disease.
每年平均有两万美国人死于流感,大部分是患有心脏病等其他疾病的老年人。
Flu virus strains change all the time,
and every once in a while a super strain emerges
to claim thousands of lives throughout the world.
流感的类型不断变异,世界范围内每隔不久就会出现超级流感夺去数以千计的生命。
While you can't always avoid getting a cold or Flu,
you can do something to reduce the risk.
虽然我们无法避免患上感冒或是流感,但我们可以采取措施降低风险。
A flu vaccine may serve the pur-pose.
注射流感疫苗就可以起到这种作用
And staying healthy may aid you in getting over a cold or flu soon.
同时,保持身体健康也可让你一旦得病后迅速康复。
In a Clinic
在诊所里
A guy in my office got the flu the other day.
前几天我办公室有个人得了流感,
Today I seem to have come down with it, too.
今天我好像也染上了。
Very likely. You have a slight fever. Do you have a headache, too?
有可能。你有点低烧。你头疼吗?
Yes. I wonder if you could do something to help me re-cover soon,
because I'll be on a business trip in two days.
对。你能不能想点办法让我快点好,我两天后还得出差呢。
Well, you have to let your flu run its course.
你得让流感慢慢康复。
You must stop working and stay in bed to get plenty of rest.
你必须停止工作卧床充分休息。
Usual-ly it will take 4 to 6 days to make a full recovery.
通常要4~6天才能完全康复。
But I'm going on a business trip in two days!
可我两天后还得出差呢!
Maybe you'll have to cancel it or postpone it.
你恐怕得取消或推迟出差。
If you go out while you are sick, it won't help you recover.
生病的时候外出不利于你的康复,
You may even pass your disease on to others.
你甚至还可能把疾病传染给其他人。