赖世雄讲英语第三册 Lesson 18 Internet Chat 网上聊天
Lesson 18 Internet Chat 网上聊天
Would you like to join a party without leaving the comfort of your desktop?
想不想不离开你舒适的电脑就能参加聚会?
Chatting online enables you communicate in real time with people all over the world.
网上聊天可以让你及时地与世界各地的人们交流。
In most cases, you don’t need any special software but your web browser.
在大多数情形下,你不需要任何特别的软件,只要有网上浏览器就够了。
For many years, subscribers to commercial online services
were able to participate in chat sessions.
多年以来,商业在线服务的用户可以参与聊天。
Now it’s possible to join in chats offered by hundreds of websites as well.
现在人们可以参与数以百计的网站提供的聊天服务。
Actually, the word "chat" is somewhat misleading,
实际上,“聊天”一词可能有些误导,
because you are not really talking to anyone.
因为你并非真地在与谁聊天,而不过是在打字并阅读文本信息。
You are just typing and reading text messages.
一旦你进入一个聊天室
Once you enter a chat room,
which is actually just a web page that runs special software,
一个运行特别软件的网页,你可以选择仅仅阅读别人交谈的信息,
you can choose to just read the exchanges,
or you can join in by posting your own messages.
也可以发布自己的信息加入他们的谈话。
Many chat rooms focus the conversation on specific topics,
such as politics or sports.
许多聊天室将交谈集中在特定的话题上,如政治或体育。
There, people with similar interests can communinate with one another.
在那里,人们就能找到志趣相投的人。
Sometimes chat sessions can lead to truly stimulating aexchanges,
网上聊天有时可以使你振奋,但也可能常常是浪费时间。
but all too often you may just be wasting your time.
你还应该知道有些聊天室与性有关。
You should also be aware that some chat rooms are sex-oriented.
然而这些都不应该阻止你尝试这种电子交流的方式。
None of this, however, should stop you from trying this electronic interaction.
它也许会妙趣横生,而且通常是免费的,
It can be a lot of fun. It’s usually free, so there’s nothing to lose.
因此你不会有什么损失嘛。
Online
上网
I stayed online chatting with friends all night. It was great fun.
我通宵在网上和朋友聊天。真是好玩极了。
I don’t understand. You don’t even know the "friends" you are "talking" to!
我真不搞不懂。你根本就不认识那些和你“聊天”的“朋友”!
It is better I don’t know them. So I can say anything I want.
不认识他们更好。我可以想说什么就说什么。
Do you believe what they say?
你想信他们说的话吗?
Who cares?It’s just online. It’s not real. Do you want to join me tonight?
管它呢!反正是在网上,又不是真的。今天晚上你想和我一起上网吗?
Thanks, but I’m a lousy typist.
谢谢,但是我打字实在不行。